I moved to Dallas a few months ago and have been so excited to explore the city as well as all of the surrounding destinations. I heard from a few people that McKinney, Texas, is a hidden gem so I knew I had to go visit. It’s safe to say.. I was not disappointed. I put together a fun list of places to stay, eat and go. I’m so excited to keep exploring Texas. If you happen to be going to Austin make sure to check out my blog post Best Things to Do in Austin, Texas.
Where To Eat:
- Local Yocal BBQ: We ate here for brunch and it was one of the best Eggs Benedict I have ever had. It was a Smoked Brisket Benedict that came with a buttermilk biscuit, arugula, smoked brisket, two fried eggs, Carolina BBQ hollandaise and breakfast potatoes. We also tried the award-winning Hamilton sandwich that was made of house-ground wagyu beef, brisket, bacon, cheddar, grilled onions and jalapeños, jalapeño-cheddar sausage and mayonnaise. They were both so good!
- The Celt Irish Pub: This is definitely one of the most popular spots in McKinney. Everyone we spoke to recommend Smithwick’s Fish & Chips which is fresh Icelandic cod dipped in a house beer batter. It comes with chips and homemade tartar sauce. We also ate the Celt Club Sandwich that features turkey, bacon, tomato, lettuce, hard boiled egg & lemon basil mayo. For dessert you have to order the traditional bread & butter pudding. It’s layered slices of buttered bread scattered with raisins in an oven dish, covered with a cream mixture seasoned with nutmeg, vanilla and other spices. There was live music which made it even more fun!
- Cocktail Creamery: This cute boozy ice cream shop is owned by Ted and Sharyn. It was fascinating to talk to them and hear about how the company came to life. They are both such nice people and truly passionate about what they do. They have over 75 ice cream flavors along with over 10 sorbet flavors (dairy-free). We sampled so many flavors and it was so hard to choose! We ended up going with the mango margarita sorbet, pina colada sorbet, and dickersnoodle. They also sell ice cream online!
- McKinney Farmers Market: There were so many unique and fun little shops including selling goat cheese, dog treats, services to sharpen knives, ginger beer, bread pudding, and so much more. We tried the Fresh Mex food truck and ate the breakfast taco with carne asada (my favorite), shrimp ceviche stuffed in an avocado, and chicken asada and carne asada tacos. They also have really delicious cucumber and hibiscus teas.
Where To Stay:
- The Neathery Estate: It won the best hotel in McKinney the last two years and it’s pretty easy to see why! We stayed there for one night in the stunning Anthony Suite. It is a bed and breakfast and it was so fun getting to know the other couples who were staying there too. Our suite had three nooks (I LOVE nooks), a living room area, two TVs and a really spacious bathroom. Throughout our suite and the whole house there is art everywhere including paintings of animals as well as statues. My favorite one was of a llama blowing bubbles. Tiffany is the owner and she treated everyone like family. During breakfast we sat together with another couple and enjoyed the delicious breakfast that was served. We ate fruit, eggs, potatoes, fresh biscuits (yum!), bread, veggies, and so much more. Highly recommend! It’s great for a staycation, nearcation, couples getaway or even for friends.
What To Do:
- Fancy Shoes Ballroom Dance: We did a class with the owner Georgia and we LOVED it. She is honestly one of the sweetest people I have ever met and she teaches you while making sure that you are having fun. She is very knowledgeable in a various dances and taught us a little bit of mambo and cha-cha-cha. Perfect for a date!
- Adriatica Croatian Village: The village is so stunning. I visited Croatia a few years ago and it made me feel like I was back there. There are a few restaurants, shops and church. It’s just a really nice place to wander around and enjoy a pretty day.
- Bonnie Wenk Park: It was the most beautiful day when we visited. We sat around the lake and just enjoyed the beautiful view. It’s great to just relax, go on a picnic, or go for a run.
If you end up going to McKinney please let me know! I would love to hear about your experience 🙂
*Disclosure: I worked with Visit McKinney on this visit but all opinions are my own.